The Sports Soapbox: A Full Dose of Your Daily Sports

Monday, August 07, 2006

Some NFL Things I Want to Shout About Aug 9.06

- The Broncos named Mike Bell, an undrafted rookie, their #1 RB going into the preseason. I am starting to think that John Daly could drink a handle of whiskey before games, strap on a helmet, and run his flabby ass to 1,200 yards under Shanahan's cut/zone blocking scheme. And I think Shanahan really finds some perverse joy in finding guys that none of us have ever heard of and making them a pro-bowl calibur running back. When asked who would back up Bell, Shanahan asked for a phone book and opened it randomly. They should hold a reality show to determine next year's starter.

- Written below are the actual lyrics to the rap song on terrellowens.com. I really can't imagine anyone having a more dilluded self image without being on 3 tabs of acid. I can pretty much tell you that if you like T.O. and do not diehardedly root (if that's not a word it should be) for the Dallas Cowboys to the point that you would root for Stalin if he were their tailback, then you and I do NOT see eye to eye on life. Here is what T.O found important enough to put to music...

When it comes to this game I'm the best in the field/
Some said I was gonna sign just a one year deal/
But I got what I wanted up front, 10 mil/
Changed the rules of the game so now how you feel?


I suggest this second verse.....
I wasn't loved as a child that's pretty clear/
and my abs and money make me grin ear-to-ear/
cuz i don't need no friends, no honor, no team/


- The raidas and the iggles kicked off the pre-season. McNabb was 3 for 3 and Aaron Brooks through an interception. Everything is back to normal in the NFL. It was good to see Donavan McNabb healthy again. I know it was only preseason, but he looked like the accurate QB we've gotten to know over those four successful years, not the horrible one that couldn't put zip on anything last year. The NFC East is gonna be reaaaallly interesting. Everyone is counting the Eagles out, but look at the QBs in the division and then tell me with a straight face that you're counting them out.

- There is no good #1 Fantasy Football pick! I know, everyone thinks there are 3 good ones, but just consider the following...

Larry Johnson - Sure he had a monster year last year that would have put him on a pace to break every record ever thought of, but talk about change of circumstances! He has never been a starter for an entire year like he will be, he has a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, new offensive system, a new left tackle i.e. no Willie Roaf, and a new right tackle. Good, yes, #1...not for me.

Ladainian Tomlinson - He has been nicked up during the fantasy season for the past two seasons, including this whopper of a stat line for last december...

GAMEDATE Att Yrds Avg Lg TD Rec TD
12/04 OAK 25 86 3.4 13 0 0
12/11 MIA 21 75 3.6 16 0 0
12/18 @IND 24 76 3.2 12 0 0
12/24 @KC 14 47 3.4 20 0 0
12/31 DEN 19 92 4.8 28 1 0

After reading that consider that it will be Phillip Rivers and not Drew Brees to keep defenses honest on him.

Shaun Alexander - Easy schedule especially in the division, consistent coaching, even after losing Hutchinson the line is one of the best in the league. So what's the problem??



Enjoy the DL Shaun, see ya next season.
the madden curse lives on.
SR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home